Tuesday, December 29, 2009

2009 in review

2008

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before?
had my first engagement shoot and my snot froze in my nose one the way to the train one morning

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
sure did, ran a half-marathon; next year's resolution: more running (maybe a full marathon?) we'll see how my foot holds out

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
yes! my sister, to a beautiful baby girl

4. Did anyone close to you die?
thankfully no. but my sister's cat, charlie, died and he was pretty cool, so that was sad.

5. What places did you visit?
london & paris, colombia (yeah - as in south america!), new york, houston, orlando, and london again!

6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009?
well, i didn't lack this in 2009, but i want to continue to grow closer to God and become more rooted in my faith letting it guide my decisions and actions towards others, continued peace about where i am in life, all that good stuff!

7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
the day my niece was born. she timed it perfectly for me! she was due on july 12th, so i bought a ticket from chicago for friday july 17th, thinking i would have a week with her as a small baby. then the 12th passed, and i suddenly feared 'what if she doesn't come at all when i'm down there?' but on july 17th, the day of my flight, i get a call from my brother-in-law telling me they were headed to the hospital. i went to the airport early and got on a morning flight and made it to the hospital as they were bringing my niece and my sister into their private room. i was present when my nephew was born, and it would have killed me to not be there for my niece. and she's the cutest thing that ever lived. ever!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
i was completely and 100% debt free for about 2 months. :) i paid off all my consumer & education debt in summer 2008, but in september 2009 i sold my house (at a loss, but who isn't taking a hit these days?). then i bought a car in november, so back in the debt category. felt good for a few months though!

9. What was your biggest failure?
my lack of real estate sophistication

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
i hurt my foot running, does that count? got food poisoning - that sucked.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
a laptop (i call it 'compy'), first one i've purchased since my senior year of college

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
captain sully sullenberger!

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
the despicable gang behavior in chicago, particularly the beating of derrion albert

14. Where did most of your money go?
my condo...

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
my camera when it arrived, my photography class, first engagement shoot and a wedding, seeing my niece & nephew!

16. What song will always remind you of 2009?
the 'timeless' album, by sergio mendes with the black eyed peas. reminds me of wandering the neighborhoods of chicago and riding the L to work or photography class.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? happier
b) thinner or fatter? thinner :)
c) richer or poorer? richer-ish

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
been nicer to people, especially my mom

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
probably spending money

20. How did you spend Christmas?
photographing my little sister's wedding and watching my nephew open tons of presents at my sister's house

21. Did you fall in love in 2009?
with dear little gabrielle lea

22. What was your favorite TV program?
i consistenly watched wgn morning news

23. What did you do for your birthday in 2009?
went to london for work, but got to hang out with my friends

24. What was the best book you read?
what i talk about when i talk about running

25. What did you want and get?
to sell my house

26. What did you want and not get?
to make a profit selling my house

27. What was your favorite film of this year?
i was most excited about seeing twilight & new moon ;) but not sure if those were my favorites

28. Did you make some new friends this year?
sure did, elaine; jill, mandy, and my small group friends; frances, erin's roommate

29. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
counting my blessings...daily

30. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
it's work clothes in layers, nike running shorts & shoes, big poofy coat & snow boots

31. What kept you sane?
my small group who met on monday nights and psalm 37:4

32. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
um... pass?

33. What political issue stirred you the most?
the healthcare debate

34. Who did you miss?
most definitely my niece and nephew!

35. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009.
well, i will not place a big emphasis on a city, person, or thing anymore to fill a void. it took moving to a city of millions of people to feel 'alone'. i learned and will never forget: wherever i go, whatever i do, God stays with me and my faith in Jesus can propel me to do things i never had the ability to do myself. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment